Monday, February 23, 2009

New recipes


Ok so I branched out and made a Chicken Curry dish tonight! It was fabulous! If you like India food, such as curry and spicy food, you will love this one! I did Green Curry paste instead and heated it with the oil garlic and onion for 5-10 mins. I also added some crushed red peppers and paprika for some heat, but i really don't think it need it! It was plenty HOT! I added some cauliflower for a veggie, and I also did not put the sugar in because I didn't even see it when i was reading the directions lol. I did add some curry powder in the middle of cooking to give it more curry flavor. I used jasmine rice to serve with it. David and my mom both loved it, so I thought I would share.

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
* 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, or to taste
* 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons curry powder
* 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed, diced tomatoes
* 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
* 3 tablespoons sugar

DIRECTIONS

1. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil and curry powder in a large skillet over medium-high heat for two minutes. Stir in onions and garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear.
3. Pour coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar into the pan, and stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, approximately 30 to 40 minutes.



For dessert I made Big soft Ginger Cookies. I did not have the cloves so left that one out, but I did add some vanilla to my second batch. Enjoy everyone!

INGREDIENTS

* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup margarine, softened
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 egg
* 1 tablespoon water
* 1/4 cup molasses
* 2 tablespoons white sugar

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture. Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

1 comment: